Searching for great rugs
Searching for great rugs can be bewildering. Some of us keep it simple, and are satisfied once we find a rug with the right colors in a fashionable design. Often we look no further, even when the rug costs tens of thousands of dollars.
Asmara knows how you could get a lot more for your money and create more enduring rooms if you looked a little deeper.
Start by asking these questions:
- Does this rug have true artistic merit, or is it mostly glitter?
- Will this rug bring the desired ambience to the room?
- Does it have art that endures, or could one tire of it?
- Does the art of this rug enhance my ability to create timeless rooms, or will it make the room look dated in a few years?
- Was the rug chemically washed to “improve” its appearance?
- Was the rug made with the integrity necessary to qualify as a valuable antique of the future?
Choosing a great rug is a skill you can learn.
Spending a little time developing your rug choosing skills will greatly improve the quality of your interior design, and bring you more value for your money.
Start by doing the research that will give you the background to make informed choices.
It is essential to study great rugs.
One place to find these important rugs is in the collections of great museums. Since many museums do not have large portions of their rug collections on display, you may wish to study paintings and textiles as well.
Your enjoyment grows as you develop your eye
Learning to look at paintings and textiles will develop your eye.
Your enjoyment will grow with your understanding of the creative process needed to fill a two-dimensional space, whether it is with pigments in a painting or with wool or silk in a rug. You will begin to become more discerning and enjoy the power and beauty good art exudes.
The Asmara website will help you
The Asmara website has assembled background material for handmade rugs of many types. This material will help sharpen the way you look at rugs. You will:
- Improve your ability to see the artistic and hand-crafted details of a fine rug;
- Appreciate the differences among rug qualities and provenance;
- Learn enough about the design and production process so you ask important questions and choose great rugs;
- Increase your enjoyment of the room you design and the rug you choose.
Asmara experts are ready to answer your questions and assist you in finding exceptional rugs for your projects.
Request Asmara Design Assistance
Request Rug Corner Samples